Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Over the Airwaves and a Very Hmong Thanksgivi​ng

Salutations! Nyob zoo! We have had a very very interesting week. I'll start with some of the stuff that doesn't really matter... First and foremost, our thermometer has been gloomily low this past week. It hit as low as 2 degrees, and for those of you who would LIKE to know... With the windchill that is a bone-chilling -10 degrees. And its only November. Honestly, I'm pretty excited for this winter though. I KNOW that it will be a cold like nothing that I've ever experienced, but that's part of the excitement I think. I feel fairly adequately prepared, but to make sure, I'm going to walmart today for a few last second preparations (some sort of facemask, and gloves that are rated for this kind of cold). For Thanksgiving this year, we get to go to a member's house, Gilbert and Lilly Yang. All the Hmong members in the ward are invited, and while we were planning this yesterday (Sunday) almost everyone there chipped in saying that they would bring some sort of food. To be honest, I'm not sure if we'll be having turkey, or white rice, but I honestly don't care all that much. (here comes the cheese) Thanksgiving is really the best time of year to remember what you are thankful for. What a unique opportunity for me to share this special day with the people that I am here to serve, and more importantly, the people that I love so much. While I won't be at home, I certainly will be with family 1200 miles away from Utah. My dad told me this last week in his letter that he spent his thanksgiving with a hotdog and a coke in Caceras Spain in 1990... While mine might not be THAT different, I feel like this will be a very unique, very Hmong Thanksgiving.
And finally... The most exciting news of the week! About 4 weeks ago, my companion and his companion at the time were told that the local Hmong radio station was interested in anybody who wanted to come in and have a show. They went in and applied, but didn't hear back. Fast forward to this week. We decided to go in and re-apply if needed. We went in and were rushed around their office and to keep a long story short... We will be on the radio every Saturday from 11-12 talking about "What Mormons Believe"... Wait... What?! What an opportunity this is for us and for the Lord. This radio station is broadcasted to all of the major Hmong populations across the USA, and every Saturdy eleven to noon we will be able to explain the beliefs of our church and we will be bearing testimony over the airwaves. The main portion of our broadcast will be discussions about the Articles of Faith, 1 every week. All I can say is that we have been so blessed with this chance, and I would ask for your special prayers for myself and my companion. I'm still not quite sure if you will be able to listen online or not. But if I remember correctly (and someone correct me if I'm wrong) the station is 93.3 FM WNRB-LP wausau... Love you all, Happy Holidays, and tune in next time!! ;)
Elder Larsen

No comments: